Un Skipper HSD en cache un autre. Après l'abandon de Ian Lipinski suite à un démâtage alors qu'il était en tête de flotte, c'est le doyen de la course, Robert Jacobson, lui aussi coureur HSD, qui pointe en deuxième position. Toute l'équipe HSD soutien Ian dans ce moment difficile et l'accompagnera pour finir ce projet et en commencer d'autres…
Umpa Lumpa, beeched February 20, 2015 Bahama's.
In Transat 2009 to Brasil Umpa Lumpa was owned and raced by Andreas Lindlar and in Transat 2013 owned and raced to
Unfortunately, Andrea has hit a few hondreds of miles before finish Guadeloupe an Unidentified Underwater floating Subject. This was after the non-stop disaster Transat 2013 race Europe-Guadeloupe of nearly 4 weeks of day and night non-stop solo racing over the Atlantic under horrible conditions. Andrea het to leave his dammaged boat behind. As Mini Transats are unsinkable, the boat will have turned its circles around over the Atlantic taken by the current/gulf current.
GER 682 was the first Mini Transat I saw in 2009 1,5 mile in front of me while appoaching the coast of Brasil in the early morning of October 25, 2009. Andreas and I had a fight in front of the finish in Salvador de Bahia that day.
To listen to missed broadcasts this week of transmissions of Robert Rosen Jacobsons Atlantic Ocean Solo Race classical music choices can be heard via this link.
After the daily transmissions, the new broadcast of that day will be added to the "old ones"from previous day(s).
To listen online around 1130 hrs every day to the transmission of Roberts choice:
To listen via radio, tune the radio on 94,6 FM.
Tomorrow, Monday March 24 at 11:30 hrs MET, Dutch Radio 4 will transmit five classical music choices made by Robert Rosen Jacobson. Robert made these recordings for AVRO broadcasting company on the Atlantic Ocean during 5 phases of Transat 2013 race, somewhere along the 4100 nautical miles track from Sada (Spain) to Guadeloupe (Caribbean).
The program "De Klassieken" is broadcasted Monday to Friday from 0900 tot 1200 hrs LT and will be presentated by Hans Smit.
Radio 4 can be received on the internet and is broadcasted on FM (94.6 in the western part of Holland).
Every day around 11:30 "Variaties op een thema" (Variations on a Theme), with this week the Atlantic Ocean as special theme.
On Wednesday, the third Transat Phase broadcast of Robert will be online only (not on the FM-frequency) due to a special broadcast of a different subject on AVRO radio.
The NED 602 Transat 2013 movie will also be available via AVRO online radio. Last Saturday March 22 the "premiere" took place during a private viewing for the support group of about 30 persons around project Transat 2013 NED 602.
Click here for an interview with Robert Rosen Jacobson by Zilt, the online Dutch maritime magazine (in Dutch)
I think it is a miracle and an abundance of luck, which arranged that all mini "coureurs" came safe on land, specifically the 5 who were rescued when they were in immediate life threatening situations. I am worrying about the safe future of the race.
To safeguard better our lifes at sea in the bi-anual future Mini Transat races, it is necessary to learn the lessons of Transat 2013 and not to stick heads in the ground!
ClasseMini and other related race-organisations should further adapt and change qualifications.
I expect that despite the chaotic Annual Meeting, held in Douarnenez in January 2014, the Board of Directors will destillate the necessairy steps for the future and arrange for a proper execution of the lessons.
See interview Clubracer: http://www.clubracer.be/2014/1/29/robert-r-jacobson-mini-transat-2013-was-meest-dramatische-ooit
Robert is at this very moment present in Douarnenez at the General Assamblee of ClasseMini (and Monday/Tuesday) in Lorient/Trinite/Pornichet for discharging NED 602 in the commercial port of Lorient (still under strike there….), whereafter having all the sails repaired in Trinite and Pornichet. Meanwhile de Telegraaf published again an article about Robert.
Also, there is an interview of Robert, in English and in Dutch. just before the start in Sada, November 13, 2013.
Robert Rosen Jacobson
On the mid-Atlantic, (1500 miles from any continent, I met an open cat with a guy on it. It was Yvan Bourgnon, sailing around the world standing on its trampoline……heading for Guadeloupe, Yvan won the Transat in 1995 and navigates on its open cat with sextant. A few hours later I had 50 knots of wind against, worrying very much about his health. I could not get him on the VHF (Marine radio). The following week only headwinds with thunderstorms and extreme aggressive squals. Result was that I decided to step out of racing mode in order to save my boat. Target: boat should go back on the cargo to Lorient (in one piece). Those last days, two Italiens left their boats and were not able to finish in Guadeloupe.
If you can understand French, Yvan is telling exact the same story as I did and do: unbelievable weather, 50 knots of wind, many days (Yvan talks of 16 days), exceptional and never experienced this bad on a Transatlantic crossing. Extreme feeling of fear. He capsized in the 50 knots of wind and was for 2 hours in the water, only than being able to get his cat up again.
Yvan Bourgnon 23 Novembre 2013: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLOc71zuKrE
Paprec Virbac/Roland Jourdain/Jean-PierreDick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGL9rkuOcVk
Robert Rosen Jacobson
Transat NED 602
To arrive from Gijon into the port of Sada in Galicia, Northwest of Spain, the problems which had to be faced, continued.
Nearly one months after the official planned start of the Transat 2013 (was October 13 from Douarnenez, France) we have still not yet left Europe. It is impossible for us to safely pass Cabo Finisterre as the dangerous Northwest corner of Spain is been battered by southerly winds with steady 30 knots and more. Leaving anyhow not sufficient weatherwindow to let pass the whole fleet of raceyachts from first to last to Southern latitudes where winds will get less aggressive and dangerous for our boats. And where is also more safe leeway……
Also the start of Jacques Vabre Race from Le Havre has been postponed for Class 40. The open 60-íes have left in the mean time.
The depressions and the amount of hurricanes (30 year ago 1, now 25 per year) on the Atlantic give us the real experience and confrontation of the real effects for us of a climat change.
From Gijon to Cabo Ortegal and further to Sada was all upwind. 30 Nautical Miles from Ortegal 40 knots of wind was expected as had been VHF'd to us by a bateau accompagnateur. As it was dark, charts of possible ports were not in sufficient detail on board available and the confusion on the VHF was maximum, I decided to find safety away from shore in the open sea. The message of Denis (Directeur Course), viavia received, was: "you can continue but try to find a little shelter by staying close to the coast". The waves were 3,5 to 5 meter high. The wind changed between 25 to 40 knots. As I was sailing with storm jib and 2 reefs in mainsail, 40 knots was good for this sailset, but 25 was not good, as the boat was than to flat on the water when he fell off a wave. I did regularly my sleeps and watchkeeping, evading many fisherman with flashing orange ambulance lights on the water. And tacking every hour to stay as close as possible to shore. Fortunate the wind came from SSW, from shore, giving some windprotection and less waves close to the shoreline. At 1500 hrs thursday afternoon I was zodiaced and moored in the Marina of Sada, welcomed on the pontoon by Maud, Douarnenez Courses, Gian Carlo Pedotte and Bertrand Delesne, the latter both protosailors, already waiting one week in Sada. I arrived as first boat in Sada! Unbelievable as I saw on the AIS several competitors 6 Nautical Miles in front of me before Cap Ortegal. The second serie boat came into port only about 7 hours later!
At this moment we are instructed to be in racemode Tuesday November 12 at 1300 hrs. Meaning an expected start that afternoon. One month after the planned 13th of October start from Douarnenez, Brittany, France.
The Transat 2013 parcours has been changed: from Sada non-stop to Guadeloupe, via a gate at Arrecife, Lanzarote, Canary Islands. Total length 3700 Nautical Miles. Never has a Transat race been so long. 2013, an absolute historic Transat year.
The situation of Transat 2013 has reached a certain climax at the briefing of 1100 hrs this morning in the capitainerie of Gijon.
- 5 proto´s are in Sada, near La Coruna in the West of Spain,
- About 70 boats have arrived in Gijon;
- 1 Boat has arrived in Santander;
- 2 boats have returned to Douarnenez and will be put on a truck to Sada, now the first etappe has been cancelled and they could (legally…?) participate in the second etappe;
- About 4 skippers have abandonned the race;
- Three masts has been broken;
- One proto has lost his keel and has been submerged by the skipper who has stepped then on board of a cargo which continued its way to Guadeloupe…(!);
- Another skipper has taken on board of an accompying boat (¨Cormoran¨?, French Navy) after he has submerged his Proto 709.
The race committee has informed us that a departure of the Gijon fleet to Sada might take place Tuesday coming, to start the first etappe from Sada to Lanzarote from there, includinf the 5 boats already in sada.
Many questions has been asked by the skippers, some of which are noted here:
- Why do the 5 boats not rejoin (downwind, today) us in Gijon with which move we can gain at least 4 days by starting thursday straight to lanzarote from Gijon with the whole fleet;
- The safety regarding the bad meteo transmissions/receptions via Radio Monaco via BLU/SSB and the speed of talking French, the differences in the messages in French compared to the ¨English¨ versions. BLU/SSB voice reception is not an easy thing (on board);
- The safety of not having charts of the Bay of Sada. Charts will be supplied for by the organisation;
- The ¨level playing field¨ (¨equite´) has disappeared now the Gijon boats had three days of high waves and wind in upwind coarse and still have to sail to Sada (upwind?). Whereas two boats has been not used in Biscay (822 and 850) these days and are roadtransported to Sada;
- Should not we just rejoin in Lanzarote and start only 1 etappe?
- That there is not sufficient transparancy in information and decisionmaking.
November 3, 2013 (exact 2 years after my finish at about 0900 UTC in Salvador de Bahia as 7th serieboat in force 7 and exceptional bad eather conditions!).